Thursday 16 October 2014

 LOOSE LEAF //

 The most beautiful plant store and floral studio I have ever come across.
A collaboration between partners, Wona Bae and Charlie Lawler, whose extensive combined career experience includes floristry, horticulture, permaculture and design.


The Design Files
Interview with Loose Leaf
Wona Bae & Charlie Lawler

Briefly tell us a little bit about yourselves - what were you each doing before you opened Loose Leaf, and what path led you to this new venture?

Wona Bae: I grew up in South Korea and was always destined to work with flowers and plants. My father's passion is flowers - I grew up on his flower farm and have lived and worked in different areas of the flower industry ever since. I rebelled for a while and studied a BA in Fashion Design, but ultimately my heart was with flowers, and after graduating from fashion I enrolled directly in a horticulture degree, followed by a master of floristry in Germany.Having learned the art of Kokozi (Korean style ikebana) in South Korea, I went to Germany and studied under the guidance of master florist Ursula Wegener. 

It was in Germany that i met Charlie and in 2007 we moved back to Australia together. I guess i bring a unique perspective to Australian floristry, mixing the minimalist harmony of my Korean roots with the natural sculptural techniques I honed in Germany. This combined with the amazing array if local material available in Australia has allowed me to explore my design style in an Australian context. So far my experimental style has been well received in Australia, I've been blessed to work with some of Australia's top brands which has led to collaborations with L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival, Melbourne Spring Fashion Week and most recently with Akira Isogawa at the Royal Botanic Runway. I was honoured to twice win gold at the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show, in 2010 and 2011. 

I have also been lucky enough to pursue my sculpture outside of floristry, the highlight of which has to be having my work displayed in the grounds of Heide MoMa. Loose Leaf was the natural progression and it finally gave Charlie and I an opportunity to pursue something that we are passionate about together. 

Charlie Lawler: I grew up in Hobart, Tasmania, and like Wona was lucky enough to be shown the beauty of plants from a young age. My grandparents owned a nursery and I spent a lot of time hanging out there with them, I guess my interest in plants grew under their guidance. I also pursued design before coming back to plants. I studied a Master of Design at RMIT before returning to study permaculture design. I had worked in various design and communication roles with organisations like The United Nations and Tourism Victoria before forming my own design studio, Open Season, with fellow Tasmanian and old friend Seb Godfrey of Deja-View Cinema. We are primarily a design and branding studio with a focus on experiential brand projects. I now balance my time between Open Season and Loose Leaf. As Wona said, Loose Leaf is the cumulation of a long awaited collaboration between us. 

What can we expect to see when visiting Loose Leaf?

Loose Leaf is literally the dream space for us! We've tried to create a beautiful, leafy haven in the heart of Collingwood. When you come in you can expect to find fresh flowers from Wona's morning market trip, a jungle of plants suspended from the walls and ceiling - mostly tranquil, sometimes a little chaotic but never something not going on. 

What's next for Loose Leaf?

We have big plans for Loose Leaf! While we hope to continue to grow our collection of plants, flowers and other unique products, Wona has already started teaching regular floral art classes kicking off with her Autumn workshops series.

In the meantime, Charlie and collaborator George Foulds are already working on issue one of Loose Leaf Journal (with a seasonal theme the first issue explores the magic of mushrooms!). Looking forward we're all about collaborations - stay tuned over the coming months. 

Completely intrigued by this creative pair.














Loose Leaf
31 Sackville Street 
Collingwood, VIC

Open Tuesday - Sat
9:00am-6:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment